Prep and Cool time
1 hour 30 mins
1 hour 50 mins
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Appetizer, Vegetarian
Yield: 12 empanadas
- 2¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup ice water (measure and place in the freezer before you start working)
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large onion, finely chopped
- ½ large bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ pound mushrooms, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place the flour and salt in food processor bowl. Pulse to blend. Add the butter and pulse a few times, until mixture looks crumbly.
- Whisk together the egg, water, and vinegar in a small bowl with a fork. Add to food processor bowl. Pulse a few times, just until dough forms.
- Remove dough from food processor. Shape into a flat disk. Chill in fridge, wrapped in plastic wrap, 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté about 4 minutes, until tender. Add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook about 5 more minutes, until mushrooms are tender and any liquid they release have been absorbed. Add the salt and pepper, cumin and paprika. Cook one more minute, stirring. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk together the egg and water for the egg wash. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove dough from fridge and allow to rest 5 minutes at room temperature.
- On a lightly floured surface, with a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough as thin as you can – to about ⅛ inch thickness. Cut twelve 4-inch circles. Scraps can be re-rolled. Place one heaping tablespoon vegetable mixture on one half of each circle, leaving a ½-inch border. Brush egg wash on empty side of circle, fold dough over to make a half-circle and close edges, then crimp edges with a fork.
- Arrange the mpanadas on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with egg wash. Bake 10 minutes. Turn empanadas over, brush the other side and bake 10 minutes longer, or until lightly browned on both sides. Cool ten minutes on a wire rack before serving.
Nutrition Per ServingServing size: 1 empanada; Calories: 199.7; Fat: 11g; Carbohydrates: 21.6g;Sugar: 0g; Sodium: 304.9mg; Fiber: 1.4g; Protein: 4.6g