Mexican Tacos, Vegetarian Tacos Recipe
Preparation Time: 40 mins Cooking Time: 40 mins Makes 8 to 10 servings
Show me for servings
For The Crisp Tortillas
3/4 cup maize flour (makai ka atta)
5 tbsp plain flour (maida)
1/2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
plain flour (maida) for rolling
oil for deep-frying
For The Rajma Topping
3/4 cup red rajma (kidney beans) , soaked for 8 hours and drained
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 tsp garlic (lehsun) paste
1 cup fresh tomato pulp
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
For The Green Sauce
1 1/2 cups roughly chopped green tomatoes
1/2 cup roughly chopped onions
1 tbsp roughly chopped green chillies
1 tsp vinegar
salt to taste
1/4 cup tomato ketchup
1 tbsp chilli sauce
2 tsp chilli sauce
7 1/2 tbsp finely chopped spring onion greens
7 1/2 tbsp grated processed cheese
For the crisp tortillas
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal portions.
- Roll a portion into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter thin circle using a little plain flour for rolling and prick it evenly with a fork.
- Heat the oil in a deep-non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, a few puris at a time on a medium flame till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Cool and store in an air-tight container.
For the rajma topping
- Combine the rajma, 1½ cups of water and salt in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Do not drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato pulp, tomato ketchup, chilli powder, cumin seeds powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked rajma with the water, mix well, mash it using a potato masher and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, , while stirring occasionally.
- Divide the topping into 15 equal portions. Keep aside.
For the green sauce
- Combine the tomatoes, onions, green chillies and ½ cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely and blend in a mixer to a smooth mixture. Strain with a strainer.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the vinegar and salt, mix well and keep aside.
How to proceed
- Combine the tomato ketchup and chilli sauce in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Place a crisp tortilla on a clean, dry surface, place a portion of the rajma topping evenly over it.
- Pour 2 tsp of the green sauce over it, 1 tsp tomto-chilli sauce mixture, ½ tbsp of spring onion greens and finally ½ tbsp of cheese.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 14 more tacos.
- Serve immediately.